Charles G. Monnett III, Attorney At Law
As firm founder, Charles G. Monnett III opened his practice over 30 years ago with a mission to be the advocate for those victimized by another’s negligence.
In his decades of experience, Charles has become a highly referred attorney — not only by past and present clients, but by other nationally recognized lawyers throughout the U.S. Because of his extensive knowledge and background in pursuing justice for his clients in the area of catastrophic injuries, Charles has earned respect as a featured speaker throughout the country. He educates attorneys on advocating for victims of traumatic brain injury (TBI), medical malpractice, and other personal injury victims in desperate need of help.
His passion for representing injured plaintiffs led him to appear for oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, the North Carolina Supreme Court, and the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
Recovering from a catastrophic injury that was caused by another’s negligence can be emotionally, mentally and physically challenging. Charles understands these difficulties, and his guiding leadership has helped hundreds of people through arduous times; they know their case is in supportive and trusted hands.
Charles successfully represents his clients with integrity and tenacity, in and out of the courtroom. His core values have helped establish the firm’s reputation for taking cases to trial, ensuring his clients are heard, and delivering their maximum recovery.
A few of his recent cases include:
- A $13,000,000 medical malpractice verdict for a child injured by a missed diagnosis resulting in severe neurological damage.
- A $2,250,000 wrongful death settlement in a highly publicized police shooting case.
- A $1,637,250 dram shop law verdict for a family devastated by the loss of an unborn child in a DUI accident.
Charles pursues justice as a trial lawyer for all persons in his active membership of the Melvin Belli Society and the Pound Civil Justice Institute. In light of his work with traumatic brain injury cases, he has also served as a board member for the Brain Injury Association of North Carolina.
Listen to a Testimonial from Mr. Monnett’s Client
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1983
- Juris Doctor
- Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, 1980
- Bachelor of Arts
- North Carolina State Bar
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- NC State Delegate, 2006 – Present
- President’s Club
- Leader’s Forum
- Birth Trauma Litigation Group
- Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, Executive Committee
- Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, Treasurer, 1998 – 2008
- Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, Chair-Elect, 2004
- Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, Chair, 2005 – 2006
- Interstate Trucking Litigation Group
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, National Advisory Board
- Roscoe Pound Institute, Member Fellow
- Melvin Belli Society, Parliamentarian, Elected to the Board
Regional & State Associations
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Governors, 2005 – Present
- Parliamentarian, 2009 – 2010
- Secretary, 2010 – 2011
- Treasurer, 2011 – 2012
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Board of Governors, 1997-Present
- President’s Club
- Leader’s Forum
- Vice President for Communications, 2009-2011
- Auto Torts Section
- Professional Negligence Section
- Workers Compensation Section
- Governor’s Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council of North Carolina, 2004 – Present
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Trial Lawyers Association
- President, 1997-1998
Honors & Awards
- Roscoe Pound Institute
- Melvin Belli Society
- North Carolina “Super Lawyers”: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Brain Injury Association of North Carolina, Inaugural Recipient of Randy Evans Advocacy Award, 2009
Three Ways We Can Help You Today
- Help you understand your rights as they apply to your unique case
- Help you to know which medical treatments may be needed
- Help take calls and handle the paper work from insurance companies
I was involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, so I contacted the attorney that I had used in a previous case. I explained to them the situation and they advised me that there was no way that I would be able to recover anything so they would not take my case. I then contacted Charles Monnett & Associates and they accepted my case and I am happy to say that their expert staff was able to settle my case with the insurance companies for $128,000.
In October 2010, my pregnant wife and I were in a horrendous accident in Charlotte, NC, caused by a drunk driver. We were struck head on by the driver traveling at nearly 100mph and sustained many life threatening injuries. We lost our unborn baby and were fighting to stay alive ourselves. This is not a time we could even think about an attorney, but fortunately, people we care about found Mr. Monnett! This incredible man visited us in the hospital at our request and made everything so easy for us during such a trying time. There's not another person on earth with whom I would trust such an important endeavor. His experience and knowledge overshadowed the defense by leaps and bounds. Mr. Monnett remained steadfast and confident throughout the process, while ultimately prevailing, it was amazing. I offer my highest recommendation to this great man and his top notch firm.
Charles Monnett was very helpful and lead me through the whole legality of my case. Charles was always available and informative on this process.