Pedestrian Accidents & Injuries
A major cause of pedestrian and cyclist related car accidents is the failure of the driver to yield the right-of-way at an intersection or crosswalk. All of these collisions, whether at an intersection or elsewhere, are ultimately caused by a driver’s failure to keep a proper lookout at all times. Drivers must always be on the lookout for pedestrians and cyclists. When we handle a pedestrian or cyclist case, we focus on the conduct of the driver to prove that they were not keeping a proper lookout and violated traffic laws and regulations. This sometimes requires retaining crash reconstruction experts and using complex injury illustrations to demonstrate the timing of the vehicle to help prove the driver was at fault.
- On average in 2014, a pedestrian was killed every 2 hours and injured every 8 minutes in traffic crashes.
- In 2014, pedestrian deaths accounted for 15 percent of all traffic fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- Nearly one-fifth (18%) of the pedestrians killed in 2014 were struck in crashes that involved hit-and-run drivers.
- In 2013, cyclists on bicycles and other pedal-propelled cycles were involved in 2 percent of all roadway fatalities.
- Cyclist fatalities tend to happen in urban areas, where 68% of cyclist fatalities occurred in 2013.
These statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are sobering reminders of how dangerous our roads can be for pedestrians and cyclists. Government agencies whose responsibilities include promoting safety on the roadways are engaged in awareness campaigns to protect cyclists and pedestrians. For example, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s current initiative is “Safer People, Safer Streets.” The North Carolina Department of Transportation is engaged in the “Watch For Me NC” campaign. The South Carolina Department of Transportation runs the Bicycle and Pedestrian Program. All of these initiatives provide valuable safety resources for your reference.
What About Insurance?
If the driver that hits a pedestrian or cyclist can be identified, hopefully there is adequate liability insurance to cover what tend to be very serious injuries or even death. Oftentimes though, the driver flees the scene, has no insurance, or too little insurance to cover the losses. In these situations, if the pedestrian or cyclist has their own automobile insurance, there may be uninsured motorist coverage (no liability insurance) or underinsured motorist coverage (too little liability insurance) available to the pedestrian or cyclist through his or her own insurance policy. When pedestrian or cyclist injuries occur, all potential avenues of recovery must be explored due to the life-changing consequences of these collisions.
Speak To a Charlotte Personal Injury Attorney
Whether you have been struck by a car as a pedestrian or bicyclist, contact one of our attorneys for a free case evaluation.
MOTOR VEHICLE CASES WE HANDLE
- Collisions With Commercial Vehicles
- Hit & Run
- Motorcycle Collisions
- Pedestrian & Bicyclist Collisions
Auto & Truck Collision Resources
- Decode Your NC Crash Report (DMV-349)
North Carolina Consumer Information
- North Carolina Department of Insurance, “A Consumer’s Guide to Automobile Insurance”
- North Carolina Department of Insurance, “A Consumer’s Guide to Motorcycle Insurance”
- North Carolina Department of Insurance, “A Consumer’s Guide to Public Adjusters”
- North Carolina Department of Insurance, “North Carolina Teen Drivers”
Three Ways We Can Help You Today
- Help you understand your rights as they apply to your unique case
- Help you to know which medical treatments may be needed
- Help take calls and handle the paper work from insurance companies
I was involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, so I contacted the attorney that I had used in a previous case. I explained to them the situation and they advised me that there was no way that I would be able to recover anything so they would not take my case. I then contacted Charles Monnett & Associates and they accepted my case and I am happy to say that their expert staff was able to settle my case with the insurance companies for $128,000.
In October 2010, my pregnant wife and I were in a horrendous accident in Charlotte, NC, caused by a drunk driver. We were struck head on by the driver traveling at nearly 100mph and sustained many life threatening injuries. We lost our unborn baby and were fighting to stay alive ourselves. This is not a time we could even think about an attorney, but fortunately, people we care about found Mr. Monnett! This incredible man visited us in the hospital at our request and made everything so easy for us during such a trying time. There's not another person on earth with whom I would trust such an important endeavor. His experience and knowledge overshadowed the defense by leaps and bounds. Mr. Monnett remained steadfast and confident throughout the process, while ultimately prevailing, it was amazing. I offer my highest recommendation to this great man and his top notch firm.
Charles Monnett was very helpful and lead me through the whole legality of my case. Charles was always available and informative on this process.