Published On: 3.15.2012 Charlotte, NC
Happy St. Patrick’s Day
On behalf of Charles G. Monnett III & Associates
With the NCAA tournament starting this week and St. Patty’s day falling on a Saturday, many will be out celebrating this weekend. St. Patrick’s day has become one of the biggest nights out for Americans, at least for adults, and the number one spot to celebrate the is a local pub.
If you choose to go out and celebrate this year, don’t rely on the luck of the Irish to keep you safe. Last year, Police arrested 1,013 drivers during North Carolina’s St. Patrick’s Day “Booze It and Lose It” campaign, and one of every eight DWI arrests happened in Mecklenburg County, state officials say. The best way to keep yourself out of trouble is to have a plan. Here are some tips to help you celebrate without putting yourself at risk:
- Plan a safe way home before you go out so you don’t make a decision at the end of the evening when your judgment may not be best
- If your plan falls through, call a taxi or sober driver for a ride home
- If you are going to be drinking make sure you eat
- Avoid drinking too much in a short period of time, pace yourself
- If you are hosting a party make sure none of guests will be driving
- Always put out snacks and non-alcoholic beverages for guests
St. Patrick’s day a great time to let loose and have fun with friends, but it’s also important to be safe and smart. With just a little planning you and your loved ones can stay safe this holiday and still have a great time.