How To File A Healthcare Complaint In NC

The NC Division of Health Regulation (of the NC DHHS) offers a way for consumers to make a complaint about care and services received against state regulated and licensed facilities through their Complaint Intake Unit. Here is a list of some facilities that are regulated by the NC Department of Health and Human Services include:

  • Nursing homes
  • Adult care homes
  • Acute care hospitals
  • Home care agencies
  • Home health agencies
  • Hospice agencies
  • Psychiatric hospitals
  • Dialysis centers

If you would like to look up a particular facility, you may find that here.

The Complaint Intake Unit only investigates complaints regarding incidents that have occurred in the past year, and they only investigate issues regulated by federal regulations or NC state statutes. Each complaint is prioritized by the seriousness of the situation. Although you must provide your contact information, it will be kept anonymous from the facility. The Unit is available to take your complaint by phone, fax, or mail. You may complete this form to send by fax or mail. (DOC, 63kB | PDF, 75kB)

  • By phone:
    Hotline: 1-800-624-3004 (within NC) or 919-855-4500
    Hotline hours: 8:30am – 4:00pm weekdays, except holidays.
  • By fax:
    Please fax your information to 919-715-7724
  • By mail:
    Complaint Intake Unit
    2711 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-2711

Issues regarding:

Physicians & Urgent Care Centers, contact the NC Medical Board (1-800-253-9653)

Labor/Personnel Issues, contact the NC Department of Labor (1-800-625-2267)

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Complaints, contact the US Office of Civil Rights (1-800-368-1019)

Discrimination Complaints, contact the US Office of Civil Rights (1-800-368-1019)

Medicaid Fraud, contact the NC Division of Medical Assistance (919-647-8000)

Medicare Fraud, contact the US Office of Inspector General (1-800-447-8477)